CIP Tech Support

Withdrawing Funds from Inmate Accounts 

This simplified process allows courts to withdraw unpaid court costs, fees, and fines from an inmate's account (their commissary account) when the offender is incarcerated in a Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) facility. Your CIP Technical Support Regional Collection Specialist can help you implement this process.

Withdrawal Procedures

Below is the recommended procedure for withdrawal of criminal court costs, fees, fine(s) and restitution from an offender’s Inmate Account. (Flowchart of the process):

Step One: Establish Contact with TDCJ

The clerk must send an introduction letter with the clerk’s contact information (and when the clerk's contact information changes) to:

Texas Department of Criminal Justice
Inmate Trust Fund
P.O. Box 629
Huntsville, Texas 77342

Step Two: Always Notify the Offender

Send the following documents to the offender via first class mail:

  • Regular copies of the Order to Withdraw Funds,
  • Judgment, and
  • Bill of Costs

 Sufficient time must be allotted for the defendant to contest the amount.

For recently adjudicated cases, it is recommended that the withdrawal notice and Bill of Costs be sent to the offender while he/she is in the county jail before transfer to TDCJ.

For cases in which the offender is incarcerated in TDCJ (prison or state jail), FUGINET or TDCJ’s database can be used to locate the offender’s unit where the withdrawal notice is to be sent. Using the TDCJ Number or SID (State ID) Number works best for this database search. (The SID Number is listed on the judgment.)

Step Three: Send Order to Withdraw Funds and Judgment to TDCJ

Send the following documents, stapled together, to TDCJ Inmate Trust Fund via first class mail (at the same address as in Step One):

  • Copy of the Order to Withdraw Funds or Attachment A (top document) and
  • Certified copy of Judgment (bottom document).
  • Note: No Cover Letter is necessary.

A set of Sample Forms are provided for use in this process.

Please note:

  • TDCJ will not accept mail before the offender is actually incarcerated.
  • TDCJ requires certain information to be included in an Order to Withdraw Funds.
  • Unacceptable Orders to Withdraw Funds will be returned by TDCJ to the clerk with suggested wording for resubmission.
  • The Order to Withdraw Funds must have a TDCJ Number or a SID Number. (A TDCJ Number is preferred; however, if no TDCJ Number is available, the SID Number must be used).
  • Do not send copies of orders and judgments to TDCJ’s Office of the General Counsel.

Step Four: Confirm the Transaction

The clerk will know the withdrawal has been made when he/she receives the check from TDCJ. Please note:

  • The clerk will receive one check representing withdrawals from multiple cases.
  • An attachment to the check will list the names of the offenders, their cause numbers, their TDCJ numbers, and each amount that is included in the check that is allocated to each cause number.
  • The check is likely to arrive about six weeks after the offender account Order to Withdraw Funds is sent to TDCJ.

Procedures to Stop Withdrawals When a Case Is Paid in Full

When an Order to Withdraw Funds is processed by TDCJ, the total amount owed by the offender, as shown in the Order to Withdraw Funds, is entered into TDCJ’s computer system. Funds are automatically withdrawn from deposits to the offender’s Inmate Account until that amount is paid in full. Thus, withdrawals will cease when the case is paid in full. However, when payment in full is received by the clerk from a family member/friend, rather than from a withdrawal from TDCJ, withdrawals from TDCJ must be stopped.

  • Send an email to
  • Ms. Clark will call you or respond by email only when there is a problem.
    • Request a “Read Receipt” for the email so that you know when it has been read.
    • In the subject line: “Stop Inmate Account Withdrawal: Paid in Full”.
    • In the body of the email: “The amount owed by offender (insert offender’s full name), TDCJ Number (insert TDCJ Number) and cause number(s) (insert cause number(s)) has been paid in full. Please stop withdrawals from the offender’s Inmate Account for this cause number(s).”
    • Include: Your name, title, address, and telephone number at the bottom of the email.

Procedures to Stop Withdrawals When a Case Is NOT Paid in Full

There may be special circumstances that require stopping withdrawals from the offender’s Inmate Account. Please call Lynn Clark at 936-437-4754 and discuss the special circumstances. She will provide instructions on what she needs to stop the withdrawals.