Renewal for Certifications and Registrations
Certification Renewal Requirements
To renew your certification, you must:
- Obtain twelve (12) hours of approved CE, including 2 hours in ethics and 1 hour in legislative update. You can carry forward 4 hours of CE to your next certification period. Ethics and Legislative update hours cannot be carried forward.
- Submit the Application for Renewal of Certification. You can apply for renewal by mail or via our online certification and licensing system. To apply online, please go to the online certification and licensing system on our home page. To apply by mail, forms are located on the Forms page of our website. If you cannot access the forms online, you must submit a written request to the Commission to have them sent to you. Requests may be submitted to (Fax) 512-463-1117, (Email) firstname.lastname@example.org, or to our general correspondence address of PO Box 12066, Austin, TX 78711-2066. Form requests are not accepted by phone.
- Pay the certification fee. Please see the Fees section of this page for information on amounts due, acceptable forms of payment, etc. The appropriate fee must accompany the application for certification and copies of your CE documentation.
- Pass a criminal history background check with DPS and the FBI. An updated criminal history report is required. Staff will email the required form needed to schedule their fingerprinting appointment to applicants who have not yet been fingerprinted for the JBCC, after we’ve received their applications. (See Criminal History section of this page for more details).
Guardianship Program Renewal Requirements
Under section 7.8 of the JBCC Rules, effective 09/01/2018, guardianship programs must register with the JBCC.
To renew your guardianship program, you must:
- Pay all fees required by rule, and
- Submit the Application for Renewal of Guardianship Program. You must apply via our online licensing and certification system. To apply online, please go to the online certification and licensing system on our home page.
An individual or entity whose certification or registration has been expired for 90 or less may renew for 1½ times the normally required renewal fee. An individual or entity whose certification or registration has been expired more than 90 days but less than one year may renew for twice the normally required renewal fee. If your certification or registration is not renewed within a year of expiration, you will be required to meet the requirements for a new certification or registration. For guardians, this includes taking the examination again. Exceptions will not be granted and fees will not be waived, refunded, or transferred. Please refer to section 3.2 of the JBCC Rules for more information.
If you do not submit your renewal until near your expiration date you may not be renewed before you expire. You are urged not to submit renewals at the last minute. The sooner you submit your renewals the more time you will have to remedy any insufficiencies.
You are not considered renewed until your application has been processed. Once your paperwork is processed, an automated email will be sent to the address on file. You can track your status via our online system. We strongly recommend that you check your email (including your spam folder) and/or the online system, prior to reporting to work to ensure you are renewed. Providing services without a valid certification or registration is a violation of the rules and may result in disciplinary actions. Be advised that staff will notify you via email if there are insufficiencies with your renewal that requires action on your end.
The JBCC does not accept cash, credit card, or debit card payments for applications submitted by mail. Applications submitted by mail must be paid by check, money order, or cashier's check. You may only pay by credit or debit card when applying for renewal online.
New criminal history reports are required when you apply for renewal or your guardianship certification. You do not need to have your fingerprints taken again once you have been fingerprinted for purposes of guardianship certification. Upon receipt of your application and payment, staff will request a new criminal history report and the results will be sent directly to the Commission.
Refer to section 3.5 of the JBCC Rules for additional details on this requirement.
All fees are non-refundable.
|Late Renewal Fee||$127.00|
|Expired 90 days or less||$300.00|
|Expired 91 days to 1 year||$400.00|
(*)= Guardianship Program Renewal Fees are effective 09/01/2018
Acceptable forms of payment:Check, Money Order, or Cashier's Check
Make payable to: The Office of Court Administration