Licensed Court Interpreters
To search our list of approved continuing education courses, please go to the online certification and licensing system on our home page.
Continuing Education Requirements
Effective 04/12/2018, to renew a license, court interpreters must have completed a total of 16 hours of approved continuing education, including 4 in ethics. Court interpreters can carry forward 8 hours of CE to their next license period. Ethics hours cannot be carried forward.
- Those who are renewing an existing 1 year license (i.e., those renewed in 2017 that expire in 2018) only need to obtain 8 hours of CE and 2 in ethics. They cannot carry excess hours forward.
- Those who renew a 2 year license (i.e., licensees who expire in 2020 and forward) must obtain a total of 16 hours of approved continuing education, including 4 in ethics. They can carry forward up to 8 hours of CE towards their next renewal.
Please refer to sections 4.0 and 9.7 of the JBCC Rules for additional information on continuing education requirements.
We are accepting applications for approval of continuing education from both course providers and licensed court interpreters. A course outline must be submitted with each request for approval as well as copies of the speaker bios. The course outline must contain the following information:
a. Describe course content (i.e., detailed description of each session of the program)
b. Indicate the time allotted to each segment (i.e., the start and end time of each session of the program for in-person courses, or using quarter hour increments for online courses).
c. The date and location of the course
d. Any sessions in Ethics must be identified on the outline as well.
When submitting CE applications online, enter data in the "Course Location" field, as follows:
a. just the city, or cities, (for live courses) or
b. the website address (for online courses)
c. skip the City, State and Zip fields.
Entering the location this way helps to ensure it is displayed properly for those searching our system to see what is available in their area(s).
Approved courses can be found in our online licensing system. A course must be approved before a licensed court interpreter can claim the hours for renewal purposes.
Applicants for approval of an orientation course must meet the requirements of Rule 4.3 (b)(1) of the JBCC Rules. The syllabus must show that the course contains the following:
• Modes of interpreting: sight, simultaneous and consecutive
• Protocol and skill exercises: sight, simultaneous and consecutive, group discussion and role-playing
• Ethics: discussion and role playing concerning the Code of Professional Responsibility for Interpreters in the Judiciary
• Discussion of criminal procedure, cognates and legal terminology
• JBCC application process and new license designation requirements
Note: The orientation course must be at least six hours in length
Applying for Continuing Education Course Approval
To apply for approval of a continuing education course, you must submit a request for CE approval by way of the online certification and licensing system located on our home page. Please refer to the pdf Guide to Using the Online System on our home page for instructions on the online application process.
Note: If the course is already approved (i.e., it already has a JBCC program number shown on the certificate), you do not have to apply for CE approval.
Applications will be reviewed to determine compliance with Commission's rules. Applicants will be notified of the determination via email.
Applying for Orientation Course Approval
To apply for approval of an orientation course, you must submit the Pre-License Orientation Approval Form along with the appropriate documentation to the address indicated on the form. Applications will be reviewed to determine compliance with Commission's rules. Applicants will be notified of the determination via email. Orientation course approval forms cannot be submitted via the online certification and licensing system.