Licensed Court Interpreters
To search our list of approved continuing education courses, please go to the online certification and licensing system on our home page.
Continuing Education Requirements
Effective 04/12/2018, to renew a license, court interpreters must have completed a total of 16 hours of approved continuing education, including 4 in ethics. Court interpreters can carry forward 8 hours of CE to their next license period. Ethics hours cannot be carried forward.
- Those who are renewing an existing 1 year license (i.e., those renewed in 2017 that expire in 2018) only need to obtain 8 hours of CE and 2 in ethics. They cannot carry excess hours forward.
- Those who renew a 2 year license (i.e., licensees who expire in 2020 and forward) must obtain a total of 16 hours of approved continuing education, including 4 in ethics. They can carry forward up to 8 hours of CE towards their next renewal.
Please refer to sections 4.0 and 9.7 of the JBCC Rules for additional information on continuing education requirements.
We are accepting applications for approval of continuing education from both course providers and licensed court interpreters. A brochure, outline or other document that describes the content and the time devoted to each topic must be submitted with each request for approval as well as copies of the speaker bios. Approved courses can be found in our online licensing system. A course must be approved before a licensed court interpreter can claim the hours for renewal purposes.
Applicants for approval of an orientation course must meet the requirements of Rule 4.3 (b)(1) of the JBCC Rules. The syllabus must show that the course contains the following:
• Modes of interpreting: sight, simultaneous and consecutive
• Protocol and skill exercises: sight, simultaneous and consecutive, group discussion and role-playing
• Ethics: discussion and role playing concerning the Code of Professional Responsibility for Interpreters in the Judiciary
• Discussion of criminal procedure, cognates and legal terminology
• JBCC application process and new license designation requirements
Note: The orientation course must be at least six hours in length
Applying for Continuing Education Course Approval
To apply for approval of a continuing education course, you must submit a request for CE approval by way of the online certification and licensing system located on our home page.
Applications will be reviewed to determine compliance with Commission's rules. Applicants will be notified of the determination via email.
Applying for Orientation Course Approval
To apply for approval of an orientation course, you must submit the Pre-License Orientation Approval Form along with the appropriate documentation to the address indicated on the form. Applications will be reviewed to determine compliance with Commission's rules. Applicants will be notified of the determination via email. Orientation course approval forms cannot be submitted via the online certification and licensing system.