Licensed Court Interpreters
Continuing Education Requirements
Licensed Court Interpreters are required to complete 8 hours of continuing education in courses approved by the Commission, including 2 hours of instruction in ethics.
Please refer to sections 4.0 and 9.7 of the JBCC Rules for additional information on continuing education requirements.
Applicants for approval of an orientation course must meet the requirements of Rule 4.3 (b)(1) of the JBCC Rules. The syllabus must show that the course contains the following:
• Modes of interpreting: sight, simultaneous and consecutive
• Protocol and skill exercises: sight, simultaneous and consecutive, group discussion and role-playing
• Ethics: discussion and role playing concerning the Code of Professional Responsibility for Interpreters in the Judiciary
• Discussion of criminal procedure, cognates and legal terminology
• JBCC application process and new license designation requirements
Note: The orientation course must be at least six hours in length
Applying for Course Approval
To apply for approval of a continuing education course, you must submit the Continuing Education Approval Form, located in the Continuing Education section on the Forms page of our website, along with the appropriate documentation to the address indicated on the form.
To apply for a pre-licensing orientation course, you must submit the Pre-License Orientation Approval Form, located in the Continuing Education section on the Forms page of our website, along with the appropriate documentation to the address indicated on the form.
Applications will be reviewed to determine compliance with Commission's rules. Applicants will be notified of the determination via email.