Thirteenth Court of Appeals
Justice Gregory T. Perkes
Mary's University School of Law, JD, 1987
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Fraternity
- Associate Editor of St. Mary's Law Journal
- Tie for American Jurisprudence Award in Contract Law
- American Jurisprudence Award in Police Misconduct-Civil Rights Litigation
University of Texas at Austin, BA in Zoology, 1983
- Mediation and Family Law Mediation Certificates, Mediators of Texas, 2017-18
- National Judicial College’s Advanced Skills for Appellate Judges Program, 2016
- New York University School of Law, Dwight D. Opperman Institute of Judicial Administration New Appellate Judges Series, 2012
- Texas Center for the Judiciary’s College for New Judges (honor and distinction), 2010
- State of Texas, 13th Court of Appeals, 2011-2016, 2019-current
- Appellate Court Justice. Runs court chambers including hearing oral arguments, writing/editing memorandums, and handing down legal opinions.
- Perkes Law Firm, P.C., 2002-2010, 2017-2019
- Principal Attorney/Owner. Legal practice focused on Appellate Law, Business Law, and Mediations. Board certified in Civil Appellate Law by Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1995.
- Donnell, Abernethy & Kieschnick, P.C. (fka Meredith, Donnell & Abernethy), 2001-2002
- Of Counsel.
- Cohn, Casstevens & Bircher, P.C. (fka Wood & Burney), 1990-2000
- Associate Attorney and Of Counsel. Law firm practice focused on business, banking, and real estate.
- State of Texas, 13th Court of Appeals, 1987-1989
- Briefing Attorney. Researched and wrote appellate memorandums for Sr. Assoc. Justice Norman Utter.
- Licensed to practice in State of Texas and before United States District Courts for the Southern District of Texas; the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; and the Supreme Court of the United States of America.
Awards / Distinctions
- Consistent AV peer review rating from Martindale Hubbell.
- Fellow Member of the College of the State Bar, 25+ years.
- Fellow Member of the American Bar Foundation.
- Member of Association of Attorney-Mediators.
- SBA/SBDC Small Business Champion Award.
- Judge Paul W. Nye Professionalism Award.
- Cameron County Bar Association’s Outstanding Service Award.
- Rotary Club’s Paul Harris Fellow.
Bar Membership / Activity
- Memberships in Bar Association for US Supreme Court; Bar Association for Fifth Federal Circuit; American Bar Association; and State Bar of Texas, including Judicial and Civil Appellate Law sections.
- Serving on Texas Board of Legal Specialization's Civil Appellate Law Advisory Commission.
- Serving on Board of Directors for Cameron County, Corpus Christi (formerly), and Hidalgo County (formerly) Bar Associations.
- Served on Texas Center for Judiciary’s Board of Directors, State Bar of Texas Judicial Section’s Legislative Committee, and State Bar of Texas Appellate Council.
- Previously Co-Editor for The Appellate Advocate, State Bar of Texas Appellate Section Report.
Speaker / Panelist Publications
- Written and spoken on numerous legal topics such as "Civil Trial Law," "Civil Appellate Law," "Original Proceedings-The Writ of Mandamus," "Interlocutory Appeals," "Summary Judgments," “Default Judgments,” “Primer on Civil Appellate Law,” "Summary Judgment - A Practice in Transition," “Tips for Appellate Briefing,” and "The Trial Attorney's Best Ally - The Civil Appellate Specialist.”
- Leadership Corpus Christi Graduate, and Leadership Corpus Christi Alumni’s Board of Governors, Board of Directors, and Class Steering Committees.
- Corpus Christi and Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Corpus Christi Mustang, and Corpus Christi Bucurader.
- Corpus Christi Rotary Club Board of Directors and Sergeant of Arms; District Lieutenant Governor.
- Boy Scouts of America, including Eagle Scout, Assistant Scoutmaster, Woodbadge Award, Unit Commissioner and Woodbadge Guide for BSA South Texas Council.
Born in Chicago, IL and raised in McAllen, TX. Married to Rachel Barchus Perkes, an educator, with two grown sons Andrew and Christopher.