Register a Guardianship
Registration of Guardianships (Effective June 1, 2018)
The guardian or their attorney must:
- Register guardianship information online with the JBCC
- Complete the online Guardianship Training
- Receive a criminal history background check initiated by the JBCC
- Attorneys, certified guardians, and corporate fiduciaries are not required to have the criminal history or guardianship training.
- Pre-existing guardians appointed prior to June 1, 2018 are not required to have a criminal history or guardianship training.
- There is no cost for the training or registration (see instructions below)
With our new guardianship registration program we are experiencing a high volume of applications and inquiries. Turnaround times are longer than usual. We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.
- Please note – For guardians appointed after June 1, 2018, the deadline for the JBCC to provide notice to the clerk that a proposed guardian has submitted registration information and fulfilled the training and criminal background requirements is 10 days before the hearing. Nothing in statute or rule makes this notice a prerequisite to setting a hearing.
- Guardianship registrations will be processed in the order in which they are received.
- We are unable to expedite the registration processing based on a hearing date not being set by the Court.
JBCC Online Instructions & Registration
- Select the "Guardians" tab, then select "Guardianship Registration: To Register a Guardianship".
- Create a login name and password.
- Enter the guardians profile with contact information.
- Enter the guardianship information.
- You must read, complete, and sign the attestation page prior to submitting your application.
- Once you enter the online registration information, complete the online guardianship training.
- Use Google Chrome to complete the training.
- Mobile and Apple devices may be incompatible to complete this training.
- The course will take approximately 1 hour.
- Currently the training is only available in English. We are working on a Spanish version of the training.
- Provide your training certificate to the court.
- Register a Guardianship and complete the Guardianship Training Module using the red buttons below.
- A certified guardian is a professional guardian who passes a state certification exam and works as a guardian in a professional capacity for multiple wards.
- The Qualification Date is the date stated on your Letters of Guardianship.
- In the field for Former Names, if you do not have any former names, you must enter "N/A" in this field.
- When entering the address for the Ward, you must enter a physical address.
- You must report the Liquid Estate Value of the ward. Liquid Estate Value is cash or any other asset that can be easily converted to cash at or near its market value. Publicly-traded stocks, bonds, and mutual funds which may be sold at or near its value are liquid assets. A CD or other investment that carries a penalty for early withdrawal is not liquid because it cannot be readily converted to cash at market value. The penalty diminishes the cash obtained for it by the amount of the penalty.
- Guardianship Programs must be registered with the JBCC. Once registered with the JBCC, programs can register multiple guardianships using the program’s profile.
- Certified Guardians can enter multiple guardianship registrations using their current online profile.
- Please do not apply both online and by mail. Apply online or by mail (i.e., do not submit your registration online and mail it too).
To use our online system, you must be able to get pop-ups. Please ensure your device (i.e., PC, laptop, etc.) is set up accordingly to allow for this.
- Mobile and Apple devices may not be compatible for using our online system.
- If you have any questions, please contact the JBCC at firstname.lastname@example.org.