Process Server Certification
Effective September 1, 2018, the JBCC will no longer accept paper applications. All applications must be submitted online using the JBCC Certification, Registration, & Licensing System. Please note: On September 1, 2018, the new fees for process server certification take effect. If your certification expires on or after September 1, 2018, you must wait until September 1, 2018 to renew online.
To renew your certification, you must:
- Submit the Application for Renewal of Certification. You must apply for renewal via our online licensing and certification system. To apply online, please go to the online certification and licensing system on our home page.
- Pay the renewal fee. Please see the Fees section of this page for information on amounts due, acceptable forms of payment, etc. The appropriate renewal fee must accompany the application to be certified to serve civil process for a three-year period and any timely application.
- Pass a criminal history background check with DPS and the FBI. Staff will email the required form needed to schedule their fingerprinting appointment to applicants who have not yet been fingerprinted for the JBCC, after we’ve received their applications.
Refer to section 3.5 of the JBCC Rules for additional details on this requirement.
- New continuing education requirement. Effective 04/12/2018, renewing process servers must document that they have completed 8 hours of continuing education during their certification period. However, process servers who were certified as of September 1, 2014 do not have to complete CE for their first renewal under the JBCC. For those process servers, the continuing education requirement begins with the process server's next certification period. (That is, their second renewal under the JBCC.)
- Those who are renewing an existing 3 year certification (i.e., those renewed in 2015 that expire in 2018) still need to obtain 12 hours of CE. They cannot carry excess hours forward.
- Those who renew a 2 year certification (i.e., those who expire in 2020 and forward) must obtain 8 hours of CE. They can carry forward up to 4 hours of CE towards their next renewal.
Submit applications at least 30 days before your expiration date to avoid delays in processing your application.
You are not considered renewed until your application has been processed. Once your paperwork is processed, an automated email will be sent to the address on file. You can track your status via our online system. We strongly recommend that you check your email (including your spam folder) and/or the online system, prior to reporting to work to ensure you are renewed. Providing services without a valid certification is a violation of the rules and may result in disciplinary actions. Be advised that staff will notify you via email if there are insufficiencies with your renewal that requires action on your end.
The JBCC does not accept cash, credit card, or debit card payments for applications submitted by mail. Applications submitted by mail must be paid by check, money order, or cashier's check. You may only pay by credit or debit card when applying for renewal online.
An individual whose certification has been expired for 90 or less may renew for 1½ times the normally required renewal fee. An individual whose certification has been expired more than 90 days but less than one year may renew for twice the normally required renewal fee. If your certification is not renewed within a year of expiration, you will be required to meet the requirements for a new certification. Exceptions will not be granted and fees will not be waived, refunded, or transferred. Please refer to section 3.2 of the JBCC Rules for more information.
New criminal history reports are required when you apply for renewal. You do not need to have your fingerprints taken again once you have been fingerprinted for purposes of process server certification under the JBCC. Upon receipt of your application and payment, staff will request a new criminal history report and the results will be sent directly to the Commission.
All fees are non-refundable.
|Expired 90 days or less||$300.00|
|Expired 91 days to 1 year||$400.00|
Acceptable forms of payment: Credit Card or Debit Card
Make payable to: The Office of Court Administration