Senate Bill 1326 (85th Legislature, R.S.), effective September 1, 2017, makes several significant changes to the jail screening and competency restoration processes for defendants that have a mental illness or intellectual or developmental disability. In an effort to assist courts, clerks, county and law enforcement officials, mental health professionals and other stakeholders in understanding the changes in law, the following training materials are provided.
- New Jail Screening and Mental Health Procedures
- Competency Restoration Flowchart
- Screening Assessment Flowchart
- Mental Illness Magistrate Assessment Form
- SB 1326 Reporting Guidance
- SB 1326 Updated Reporting Instructions
- Guide for Addressing the Needs of Persons with Mental Illness in the Court System