Licensed Court Interpreters
To renew your license, you must:
- Submit the Application for Renewal. You can apply for renewal by mail or via our online licensing and certification system. To apply online, please go to the online certification and licensing system on our home page. To apply by mail, forms are located on the Forms page of our website. If you cannot access the forms online, you must submit a written request to the Commission to have them sent to you. Requests may be submitted to (Fax) 512-463-1117, (Email) email@example.com, or to our general correspondence address of PO Box 12066, Austin, TX 78711-2066. Form requests are not accepted by phone.
- New Continuing education requirement. Effective 04/12/2018, you must complete 16 hours of CE including 4 hours in Ethics. You can carry forward 8 hours of CE to your next license period. Ethics hours cannot be carried forward.
- Those who are renewing an existing 1 year license (i.e., those renewed in 2017 that expire in 2018) only need to obtain 8 hours of CE and 2 in ethics. They cannot carry excess hours forward.
- Those who renew a 2 year license (i.e., licensees who expire in 2020 and forward) must obtain 16 hours of CE and 4 in ethics. They can carry forward up to 4 hours of CE towards their next renewal.
- Submit copies of CE documentation for completed CE programs.
- Pass a criminal history background check with DPS and the FBI. Staff will email the required form needed to schedule their fingerprinting appointment to applicants who have not yet been fingerprinted for the JBCC, after we’ve received their applications.
- Pay all required fees. Please see the Fees section of this page for information on amounts due, acceptable forms of payment, etc.
An individual whose license has been expired for 90 or less may renew for 1½ times the normally required renewal fee. An individual whose license has been expired more than 90 days but less than one year may renew for twice the normally required renewal fee. If your license is not renewed within a year of expiration, you will be required to meet the requirements for a new license, including examination. Exceptions will not be granted and fees will not be waived, refunded, or transferred. Please refer to section 3.2 of the JBCC Rules for more information.
If you do not submit your renewal until near your expiration date you may not be renewed before you expire. You are urged not to submit renewals at the last minute. The sooner you submit your renewals the more time you will have to remedy any insufficiencies.
You are not considered renewed until your application has been processed. Once your paperwork is processed, an automated email will be sent to the address on file. You can track your status via our online system. We strongly recommend that you check your email (including your spam folder) and/or the online system, prior to reporting to work to ensure you are renewed. Providing services without a valid license is a violation of the rules and may result in disciplinary actions. Be advised that staff will notify you via email if there are insufficiencies with your renewal that requires action on your end.
The JBCC does not accept cash, credit card, or debit card payments for applications submitted by mail. Applications submitted by mail must be paid by check, money order, or cashier's check. You may only pay by credit or debit card when applying for renewal online.
New criminal history reports are required when you apply for renewal. You do not need to have your fingerprints taken again once you have been fingerprinted for purposes of court interpreter licensure under the JBCC. Upon receipt of your application and payment, staff will request a new criminal history report and the results will be sent directly to the Commission.
Refer to section 3.5 of the JBCC Rules for additional details on this requirement.
All fees are non-refundable.
|Expired 90 days or less||$150.00|
|Expired 91 days less than 1 year||$200.00|
Acceptable forms of payment: Check, Money Order, or Cashier's Check
Make payable to: The Office of Court Administration