Register a Guardianship
Registration of Guardianships (Effective June 1, 2018)
- Family member guardians are not professional certified guardians, but they do have to register with the JBCC.
- There is no cost or fee for a guardianship registration or for the guardianship training.
- Under section 10.2 (a) of the JBCC Rules, registrations must be submitted via our online system. Those who do not have internet access to apply online can contact us to request a form be mailed to them. Our phone number and mailing address are located at the bottom of this page.
- Proposed guardians, or their attorney, must file a guardianship application with the county prior to registering the guardianship with the JBCC.
- Register the guardianship information online with the JBCC, complete the guardianship training and criminal history through JBCC. (The guardian or their attorney may enter the information)
- Attorneys, certified guardians, and corporate fiduciaries are not required to have the criminal history or guardianship training.
- Pre-existing guardians appointed prior to June 1, 2018 are not required to have a criminal history or guardianship training.
- There is no requirement in statute or rule that makes the registration a prerequisite to setting a hearing. Guardianship registrations will be processed in the order in which they are received.
JBCC Online Instructions & Registration
There is not a fee for Guardianship Registration. If you are asked to pay a fee, please be advised that is not the correct application and you must withdraw it.
- Select the "Guardians" tab, then select "Guardianship Registration: To Register a Guardianship".
- Create a login name and password.
- Enter the guardian’s profile and contact information.
- Enter the guardianship information.
- You must read, complete, and sign the attestation page prior to submitting your application.
- Once you enter the online registration information, complete the online guardianship training.
- Use Google Chrome to complete the training.
- Mobile and Apple devices may be incompatible to complete this training.
- The course will take approximately 1 hour.
- Provide your training certificate to the court.
- Register a Guardianship and complete the Guardianship Training Module using the red buttons below.
- Qualification Date: The Qualification Date is the date stated on your Letters of Guardianship.
- Former Names: In the field for Former Names, if you do not have any former names, you must enter "N/A" in this field.
- Ward’s Address: When entering the address for the Ward, please enter a physical address.
- Liquid Estate Value: You must report the Liquid Estate Value of the ward. Liquid Estate Value is cash or any other asset that can be easily converted to cash at or near its market value. Publicly-traded stocks, bonds, and mutual funds which may be sold at or near its value are liquid assets. A CD or other investment that carries a penalty for early withdrawal is not liquid because it cannot be readily converted to cash at market value. The penalty diminishes the cash obtained for it by the amount of the penalty.
- Co-guardians: Co-guardians must register separately and should indicate there is a co-guardianship by placing a note in the “additional information” section of the registration. Please ensure the information on the protected person is the same in both registrations.
- Co-guardians: Co-guardians must each take the guardianship training course, and obtain separate certificates. They cannot take the course together, or have one take the course, and have both names on one certificate.
- Out of State: Guardians living out-of-state or out-of-country must be fingerprinted regardless of the ward’s estate value.
- If an out-of-state guardianship case is transferred to a Texas court on or after June 1, 2018, the guardian must be fingerprinted and complete the training. (In the additional information section, please provide the date the case was transferred to Texas.)
- Please do not apply both online and by mail. Apply online or by mail (i.e., do not submit your registration online and mail it too).
- To use our online system, you must be able to get pop-ups. Please ensure your device (i.e., PC, laptop, etc.) is set up accordingly to allow for this.
- Under section 155.155 Government Code, information contained within the JBCC online system is confidential and therefore not subject to disclosure under Chapter 552 or any other law.
- Questions: If you have any questions, or need assistance using the online system, please contact the JBCC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our licensing team is unable to accommodate walk-in customers. If you need assistance please contact the licensing specialist for your profession. Our contact information is at the bottom of this page. If we are unable to resolve matters by email, please feel free to request an appointment by phone with the licensing specialist for further assistance. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently not making in-person appointments.